The nurse practitioner career is gaining a lot of ground recently. With physicians increasingly unable to handle patient loads, nurse practitioners are becoming important in the world of health care. Nurse practitioners can diagnose and treat diseases — and in some states can even have their own practices.
If you are interested in becoming a more successful family nurse practitioner, there are a number of helpful resources that you can turn to. The Internet is full of great information that any NP can use to help him or her help patients. These 25 great dot-edu resources are from reputable institutions that can help you as you work to improve your abilities as a nurse practitioner:
- Specialty Nursing Practice: This list of resources can help you find the journals and professional associations of different areas of nursing and nurse practitioners.
- UCSF School of Nursing Internet Resources for Nurse Practitioner Students: Even if you are no longer a student, these resources can be helpful, including information on organizations and career resources aimed specifically at NPs.
- Nurse Practitioner Resources: Use this page to find you access to professional organizations that can help you make connections.
- Nurse Practitioner Career Overview: The Mayo Clinic offers a great career overview that can help you decide if this is really the right career for you.
- Nurse Practitioner and Physician Assistant – What’s the Difference?: UC Berkeley offers a look at two different career paths. A great explanation to help you make a choice.
- Professional Associations for Family Nurse Practitioners: Find the right organization to join, and make connections and get access to valuable career advice. Make friends and engaging in networking.
- National Associations and Organizations: Great resources related to career help and information for NPs. Find out more about making connections and advancing your career.
Patient Diagnosis, Treatment and Education
- Diagnosis of Fibromyalgia: It’s not a terribly common topic, but this is a helpful guide that can help a NP diagnose a difficult disease that doesn’t have a routine lab test attached to it. A great help to help you spot a disease that might affect a patient.
- Overview of Sickle Cell Disease: A great resource to help you learn more about this somewhat rare disease that might affect some patients. Learn to recognize the disease, and find information on treatment.
- Diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease: Learn the signs and symptoms of this disease so you can better educate and help your patients.
- Introduction to the Scientific Method: This is a great resource that can help you improve your ability to diagnose and treat patients by following the scientific method.
- Evidenced Based Nursing: Improve your abilities to help your patients when you engage in evidenced based nursing. The University of North Carolina has some great tools to help you become a better nurse practitioner.
- Evidence-Based Practice: A look at how to make your practice more evidence-based as you help your patients. Resources, tools and tips.
- Nursing Resources for Evidence Based Practice: All you need to know about diagnosing, treating and educating patients with the help of techniques based in evidence. Excellent resource that can help you find more information that will you become a better NP.
- Evidence-Based Practice: More information, techniques and more related to evidence-based practice. You can learn about diagnosing and treating diseases, and get information on educating your patients. Very helpful resource from Yale.
Sometimes it helps to have general medical knowledge. As a nurse practitioner, you should always be learning. These dot-edu resources will ensure that you have plenty of information readily available.
- Family Health Guide: This resource from Harvard is perfect even for NPs. Provides a wealth of practical information that you can use.
- Mayo Clinic: Head over to Mayo.edu and you can learn more about different health answers, get general knowledge and get information about the latest advances in medicine.
- Duke University Medical Center Library: You can look up information related to any number of subjects. Perfect for the nurse practitioner — or any health care professional. A great opportunity.
- Research: Get the latest information from the world of medicine from Stanford. A great place to look for web-based research tools, learn about advances, and get general information about health and wellness.
- Health Information: Find information about health and wellness. Learn about trials, tests, and more. Get information on research, search the health library at the University of Utah, and more. A great source of information for helping NPs treat and educate patients.
- Welch Medical Library: This is a great resource for nurse practitioners. This library from Johns Hopkins University, is a great way to get information. General information on a number of topics of interest in health. A great way to expand your knowledge.
- Nursing Library at Yale: This is a great resource, aimed a nursing. You can learn a great deal about nursing techniques that can help you as a NP. Get answers to questions and more.
- Nursing Resources: You can get access to information via the Ebling Library for the Health Sciences. You can access different databases, get information about guidelines for nursing and being a NP, and more. A great resource that can help any NP.
- Pharmacy, Nursing and Health Sciences Library: This resource from Purdue University provides access to great resources related to nursing and pharmacy. You can learn more about medications, and that can help you prescribe them. It’s a great resource, and an excellent way to learn about various topics related to health and medicine.
- Nursing Biology Library: Get information that can help you as you expand your practice. Information about biology that can be used by a nurse practitioner looking to help his or her patients.